I love lemon drizzle cake. It takes all my willpower not to shove this entirely in my face every time I make it. As far as bakes go, this is my most highly requested from Dan, as I feel surprisingly easy.
You will need:
- A loaf tin ( I use a 7x23cm one)
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar (+85g for the topping)
- 4 eggs
- Grated zest of 2 lemons and their juice
- 225g self-raising flour
- Poppy seeds
- Preheat your oven to 160°c (for fan assisted ovens)
- Beat together the unsalted butter and the caster sugar until you get a nice pale mixture
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat them in
- Sift through the 225g of flour and the lemon zest until you get a mixture that isn’t too runny but not too thick
- Add a good sprinkle of poppy seeds and mix it in
- Bake for around 50 minutes, and check every subsequent 5 minutes. I find it normally takes around an hour, but it goes very quickly from being “I am nicely cooked” to “I am the driest”
- Combine the last of your sugar and the two lemons
- Poke a ton of hole in the top of your cake. Imagine its someone you don’t like and stab them repeatedly
- Pour over the topping
- Leave to cool, if you can, then delight in your creation. Eat it all in one sitting.
Seriously, this makes the best cake. It’s really easy, doesn’t take much thinking but turns out so tasty. I like mine really lemony, so add/remove as you so desire.